Sunday, December 14, 2008

Lowcountry Beer Drinkers Gem

The Charleston Beer Exchange

Some friends came by yesterday, and we headed downtown to play tourist with them. I thought I pretty much knew all the places I wanted to know already - except some restaurants I've yet to try.

As we needed to buy some liquor for another upcoming event, we dropped into The Tavern Liquor Store on East Bay Street.

We got talking to Gary, the owner, and a guy came in with a container of beer. Turns out it came from The Charleston Beer Exchange which is right nearby on Exchange Street.

We took a walk in, and found a wonderful stock of beers from around the world. Many top-class Belgian ales, and some local craft beers, including those from The Coast Brewery in North Charleston.

The way it works is quite simple. Initially you buy a container for $5, and then you have it filled with the draft beer of your choice. I chose the excellent Coast ESB. That cost $12. When you've drunk the beer, you bring it back, and get it refilled with more draft beer of your choice.

They are currently open from 11am -9pm Monday thru Saturday, and from Noon - 6pm on Sundays.

The Charleston Beer Exchange has been open only around a month, but I'm sure it will prove popular with visitors and residents alike. I know for certain that I'll be back there again!

No comments: