Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Samuel Smith: Oatmeal Stout

Since Josh brought up the topic of dark beers, I thought I'd continue the thread with a quick write-up on Samual Smith's Oatmeal Stout. In short, I just discovered this beer a month ago or so, and I'm not entirely sure how I managed to go this long without having this beer as a regular contributor to my (incredibly well balanced) diet.

This Oatmeal Stout pours quite dark (though not nearly as dark as Darkness does), with a medium-tan head. The aroma is of dark roasted coffee, malted grains, and raisins. The taste is a perfect balance between bitter and sweet, with a bit of, may I say smokiness? As I work my way through the glass, and as the beer warms slightly, I'm delighted more and more by the complex flavors that reveal themselves. The mouthfeel is surprisingly light for this style, which I very much appreciate. In the past, I've been put off by a few oatmeal stouts that were overly heavy. After finishing the glass, the dark, rich flavors linger for quite a long time, as you'd expect for an Oatmeal Stout.

If you haven't given yourself a chance to try this beer, I'd recommend you pick it up during your next run to the store. I can get it here in Minneapolis for around $9 for a four-pack of 12oz. bottles - it's well worth it.

2 comments:

Alpha King said...

Next time you have this beer, think biting into a carmel apple. Someone suggested this to me last time I drank one of these.

Homebrewer Brian said...

This is probably my favorite commercial oatmeal stout I have ever had. I bet this WOULD pair great with a caramel apple. How about this: you peeled an apple and soaked it in some of this beer for a few hours and then dipped it in caramel, oh that could be dangerously good.